Friday, November 23, 2012

Thirty Years and Counting

Today marks 30 years since the Joel and Deanna Porter family was created.  As I look back on those thirty years it seems to have passed like a dream.  As I look back and reminisce on what has happened in those thirty years and it really is mind boggling.  Deanna and I were married when we were both kids.  Back then I thought I knew everything and really went into marriage fully confident that we could handle anything that the world could throw at us.  To say that I was naive would be an understatement.  If I knew then what I know now I am not sure that I would have ever had the faith to enter into the great institution of marriage.  Knowing that I would not have to do this alone was the key.

Lots has happened  over those 30 years. Some of the numbers that amaze me are:

6 kids
11 years of schooling
3 years of residency
80+ hour work weeks
$45,000+ in school loans
228  mortgage payments
$288,000 in groceries
4 missionaries
4 eagle scouts (almost 5)
3 weddings
18 automobiles
4 high school graduations
5 college graduations
3 daughter-in-laws
1.66 grandchildren

This of course is just a partial list and there is much more to come.

Of course none of this would have been possible without the woman that I have shared the last 30 years with.  After 30 years I think we know each other pretty well.  Despite the fact that Deanna knows pretty much everything there is to know about me she still loves me.


This woman is AMAZING!!  Anyone who knows her knows how true that is.  We have been together a lot longer than we have been apart.  Deanna has been the heart, the glue, the fabric and the soul of the family.  I used to think that I knew everything that there was to know about the woman of my dreams but she never ceases to amaze me.  Her talents are endless and continue to expand.  Everyone who knows her recognizes her greatness.  She constantly amazes those around her.  She has an amazing capacity to serve.  She is a tireless worker and most of the work that she does is for someone else.  She rarely is found doing something for herself.  She is the perfect wife and mother.  Her legacy is her family and generations to come will bless her name for the great work that she has done and continues to do.











I often wonder what it is that I bring into this union.  It certainly is mostly once-sided and I am grateful that she continues to try to lift me up to her level.  I will forever be grateful for the woman of my dreams.  After 30 years I love her more than ever before.  Now if I can just figure out what to get her for her anniversary present.

Love You Sweetie!!



No comments:

Post a Comment