Monday, November 12, 2012

Music in the Home

Yesterday I cam home from a movie with my son.  As I entered the house I heard Mendlessohn's violin concerto in E minor coming from the front room.  Emily was rehearsing the piece with Deanna accompanying on the piano.  I stopped and listened for a while to the amazing runs, and beautiful melody.  I was truly amazed that my 17 year old daughter was the one responsible for that sound.  A little earlier that day I sat and listened to Matthew has he practiced his Khachaturian piece and his Moszkowski piece on the piano.  Once again I was amazed that this was my 15 year old son who was creating that beautiful music.  This morning at stake conference Deanna led the choir.  This was a choir of women.  She picked the music and then directed them.  Once again I sat and was amazed at her confidence and her ability to feel the music and transmit that feeling to those she was directing.  There have been many times when I have listened to Deanna accompany someone on the piano.  I usually end up listening to the accompaniment  more than the person who is singing.  She has an amazing ability to become one with the person she is playing for and bring out the very best in the musician.

Thanks to my dear wife music has been a huge part of our home.  As parents we have insisted that all of our children learn to play an instrument.  All have taken piano lessons and Emily has become proficient on the violin.  I don't anticipate that any of our children will make music a career, however they have all learned to appreciate the gift and beauty of music.  All of our sons who have served missions have used music in the mission field.  Jonathan, who lives in Las Vegas, is the primary pianist for his ward.  Jacob, who lives in Arizona has been the ward organist.  Emily is the ward chorister and Matthew is the priesthood pianist.  Music has been a big part of the service that our family gives in the church.

That does not mean that it has always been easy.  We made a rule that when you started with piano lessons that you were to stick with it until you were at least 16.  (Later that rule has morphed into sticking with piano lessons until you graduate from high school).  Emily and Matthew have had the most demanding of teachers.  Emily has been playing violin since she was 6 years old.  She has often had to memorize extremely difficult pieces and perform in front of judges.  Matthew has a very demanding piano teacher for the past 2 years who has taken him to new heights.  However, this has not come without some pain.  It is no fun to realize that you have to perform a piece and it is nowhere near ready.  It is no fun to realized that it is 9:00 at night and you are exhausted but you have 2 hours of practice to put in because you put it off the night before.  It is no fun to realize that you have lessons at 6:00 a.m. and you have to get up at 5:15 to be there on time.

A long time ago when we insisted that our children learn to play the piano and violin we felt strongly that it was more about the means and not the end.  The rewards have been wonderful, but the process of being able to discipline yourself, do something that is hard and not always fun, and be held accountable for your actions (or lack of action) is the true blessing.  Our children have learned valuable life lessons from being encouraged (and sometimes forced) to continue with practice and lessons.  But is all worth it to see the smile on their face after they have performed and know that they have down the very best they can.  It is also rewarding when they known that their music has moved someone else.

I truly believe that music is one of the great gifts given to us from our Father in Heaven.  It can be used as vehicle for the Spirit.  It can often penetrate a hardened heart when words alone can not.  Satan as also used music as one of his tools to preach his hate and lies.  Unfortunately music has great power for both good and evil.  It is one of life's great lessons to learn the difference.

I remember my first experiences with music and the spirit.  I was in primary, probably around 8 years old.  It was back when you had primary after school on Wednesday afternoons.  We would walk to the church and gather for opening exercises.  I distinctly remember singing that wonderful primary hymn "reverently, quietly, lovingly we think of thee".  The spirit whispered to me that what I was singing was true.  I remember feeling warm, peaceful and wanting to have that feeling over and over again.  I also remember in seminary singing "The Spirit of God, like a Fire is Burning" and feeling the overwhelming feeling of the Spirit.  So much so that tears came to my eyes.  That of course is not good for a 15 year old boy.   There have been many times that I have sung the hymns of Zion and felt the spirit strongly bear testimony to me.

I wish that I had the talents of my wife and children.  But since I don't I will be very content to listen and feel the spirit through the music that they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment